SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR CONTENTS, OTHER POSTS, "MOST READ", IMAGES, ETC.

Thursday 6 September 2018

I Turned Up at My Own Funeral


To cheat death,
I turned up at my own funeral
With a smile in my hand,
Presents for all the mourners,
And singing the 'Funeral March' in 5/4 time
To a drum 'n' bass accompaniment.

My fanbase was a little shocked, sure:
Eaten up with paradox and stuff.
Thinking, “Did I cancel his milk?”
“Oh God! I spent what was left in his wallet!”
“I took his wife in her best place.”
“I gobbled up his leftovers
And sent his dog to the meat farm.”

The best man mourned my death with scripted words.
He is a bit of a cunt, you know:
More multi-faced than two-faced.

… But before I appeared
I watched for a while from behind the rood screen
To see who wasn't crying enough... or at all...
And who was eating crisps in headphones.
I counted the numbers.
Compared and contrasted
To see which fuckers weren't there.
And then I appeared – in all my magnificent glory!





No comments:

Post a Comment