SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR CONTENTS, OTHER POSTS, "MOST READ", IMAGES, ETC.

Tuesday 6 August 2019

The Church [a free working of R. S. Thomas’s ‘The Moor’]

R.S. Thomas

It was like a moor to me.
I entered with soft steps.
My thoughts held like last breaths.
All was still –
The stillness of eight hundred years.
What was left of the moor
- Seen (in that constructed place)
By the eye of the imagination -
Was still clear.
Still equal to the modest splendour
And curved symmetry
Of the vaulted sky within.

I said no meek prayer.
The resurrection of dying questions –
That was prayer enough.
I sat down.
And all along with the heart’s surrender
Of its temporary domain.

As easy as moor mist
Around a lone self,
The church's damp closed in -
Bringing the moor back.

***********************************

The Moor, by R.S. Thomas

It was like a church to me.
I entered it on soft foot,
Breath held like a cap in the hand.
It was quiet.
What God was there made himself felt,
Not listened to, in clean colours
That brought a moistening of the eye,
In movement of the wind over grass.

There were no prayers said. But stillness
Of the heart’s passions – that was praise
Enough; and the mind’s cession
Of its kingdom. I walked on,
Simple and poor, while the air crumbled
And broke on me generously as bread.




No comments:

Post a Comment