SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR CONTENTS, OTHER POSTS, "MOST READ", IMAGES, ETC.

Monday 25 November 2019

The Moor's Plague of Gnats


A bona fide Plague.
Little black helicopters (arse down, head up)
In vertical flights aimed straight at the face.
Others hovered, loose and loitering,
Feets above heather and bog-reed.
Yet more yo-yoed 
On the springs of the thick breeze.
As one, they thickened all directions of the sweaty air.
A totality; a dense, black moor-mist enclosing us.

The flies landed on bare arms 
To suck out blood – 
Speck by speck.
The inner sanctums of ear and mouth: profusely raided.
I swallowed one, then I swallowed one, then one, another…
So I turned my shirt protecting veil.
Soon I was choking on their thick mass;
Drowning in sea of insect flesh.
The moor (the flies’ haven) stretched out in front;
Though I couldn’t see its shores

I ran a sucking peat that kept me slow.
My boy’s fear, far in front.
Despite their mass, their number,
There was no sound -
No low, portentous buzz.
(That pylon-drone of wood wasps.)
I hadn’t expected that silence;
Though, in a Biblical-kind-of-a-way, 
Their quiet, combined purpose,
Still seemed evil to a spineless mind.
Yes. It had to be Biblical! Didn’t it?
Yet this event, of a thousand thousand gnats, 
Was as Biblical as anything!

What had folk done to be victims of a Plague?
A plague as black as that plague of locusts was green.
And I’ve never read Keats spin a nature ode 
To these little bastards.

No comments:

Post a Comment